her proposals did not win unanimous backing next week.“We cannot postpone again the question,” the Spanish commissioner said. “We must say yes or no. I am ready to propose to the Commission that we withdraw our proposal.”An independent study by PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) last week endorsed the long-term financial viability of the Galileo project but said the Commission’s model for the operating company raised “potential conflict between the public sector’s financial interest [in the body] and the wider public interest role ofa regulator”. Instead, it advocated a stricter contract-based relationship with the EU executive with “a clearer separation between public and private sectors”.De Palacio’s spokesman, Gilles Gantelet, said contract tenders would be handled independently of the operating company’s administrative board, but dismissed calls for investors to be denied decision-making rights. “Everybody has been telling us we need private investment,” Gantelet added, “but private companies don’t put money into something they have no interest in.”French companies Thales and Alcatel Space, Italy’s Telespaziale and Enav, Spain’s Aena and consortium Galileo Industries are understood to be among those who have signed non-binding investment pledges worth a total of 200 million euro for Galileo’s development phase. set to surface when transport ministers meet to approve the plan next Thursday (6 December).“We’ve always said the private sector should be involved,” said one EU diplomat. “But what’s completely off limits is that you invite [companies] to stump up a few euros and they get a seat on the board.” There are worries that the private backers could wield unfair influence on decision-making – including the award of lucrative contracts for which some of the same firms could end up competing.“If you allow companies to participate in the decision-making bodies they might subscribe to the tenders they have helped to develop,” said another member state official. “We don’t want to create a conflict of interests. We need to sort out what membership will mean for companies and what they will get in return.”The proposal, which was tabled by Loyola de Palacio, the EU transport commissioner, promises investors “preferential treatment” when another new company is set up in 2005 to deploy the 30 Galileo satellites and launch the service three years later. But it does not exclude them from bidding for contracts from the operating company during the earlier development phase.The Galileo programme is designed to give the EU an independent and more accurate rival to America’s Global Positioning Satellite (GPS).But the crisis of confidence in the Commission’s handling of the project could threaten its entire future, after de Palacio said she would pull the plug if Galileo Industries – which comprises major European space companies Astrium, Alcatel Space and Alenia Spazio – was recognised in the PwC report as the only credible main contractor. 3.6-billion euro Galileo satellite navigation project.The Netherlands and the UK have both lodged formal objections to the proposal to set up a so-called ‘joint undertaking’ under EU law, allowing private firms to sign up as members in exchange for contributions of 20 million euro each to the operating company’s capital.Germany, Austria, Portugal and Finland are understood to share concerns over possible conflicts of interest, which are
AG, Foundation program to help those facing foreclosure August 15, 2009 Regular News AG, Foundation program to help those facing foreclosure ATTORNEY GENERAL BILL McCOLLUM presents a $2 million check to The Florida Bar Foundation to be used for grants to provide free legal assistance to homeowners facing foreclosures. The money came from a settlement of a consumer suit brought by McCollum and AGs from several other states against Countrywide Financial. From the left are former Foundation President Bill Davis, Florida Legal Services Director Kent Spuhler, McCollum, and Jorge Chamizo, representing the Cuban American Bar Association.The Attorney General’s Office and The Florida Bar Foundation have launched a foreclosure defense assistance program, funded by money obtained by the AG through a settlement with Countrywide Financial. A total of $4 million will be available over two years to fund additional lawyer and paralegal positions devoted to providing free assistance to homeowners facing foreclosures who cannot afford a legal defense.“Florida’s legal services organizations have been overwhelmed with the sheer volume of distressed homeowners seeking assistance, so we are extremely pleased that funds from this settlement will provide them with additional resources to help these clients stay in their homes,” Foundation President Adele Stone said. “We also appreciate that the attorney general has placed his confidence in The Florida Bar Foundation as the administrator of the program.”Florida currently has the fourth highest rate of foreclosures in the nation. “The high number of foreclosures in Florida has left our homeowners vulnerable to fraud and desperate for assistance,” AG Bill McCollum said. “I know that the assistance these attorneys will provide will mean a world of difference to the homeowners they help.”The funds are being distributed through the Foundation in the form of annual grants awarded to legal services providers. The grants will vary in size depending on the number of foreclosures experienced in a particular area. A total of $2 million is available for distribution this year, and another $2 million will be available next year. The AG’s Office will participate in the application review process and will work with the Foundation to award the funds.The Foundation’s Paul Doyle said the grants will be awarded at the Foundation’s August 27-28 meeting and facilitate the hiring of about 23 lawyers across the state.“We expect the grants will be effective October 1, so sometime in September people interested in knowing who has those grants can go to our Web site [ www.flabarfndn.org ] and get it,” Doyle said.Cristina Alonso, president of Florida Legal Services, Inc., commended the AG’s office for its support of the Foundation’s mortgage fraud pro bono attorney program.“In these economic times, many families have fallen victim to foreclosure rescue scams and related fraud,” Alonso said. “Through this program, legal services organizations, such as Florida Legal Services, Inc., have an opportunity to directly assist these families struggling with foreclosures.”The Cuban American Bar Association has applied for one of the grants to help Floridians maintain their homes, said CABA President Roland Sanchez-Medina, Jr.“If awarded, these funds will help CABA assist low-income Floridians across the state, and particularly those in Miami-Dade County, who are in need of early intervention, counseling, and pro bono legal services,” Sanchez-Medina said.
While Kremer is excited to get the season going, one challenge facing the Gophers’ incoming class — and all returning student-athletes — is access to pools, as facilities are shut down across the nation. “You can’t just go out and go running every day and become a great swimmer or diver, you really have to do the sport. And so I think right now, our student-athletes are finding creative ways to try and simulate it a little bit,” Kremer said. “But at the end of the day, it provides a challenge. I think I probably speak for everybody when I say I just can’t wait to get back to normalcy where we can be on a pool deck again and help our student-athletes improve their craft.”“Visualization is nice, but I could visualize slam-dunking a basketball. I’m still not going to be able to do it,” Kremer added. Despite the challenges brought on by lack of access to facilities, Kremer is excited for his teams to make some noise once they are able to return to the pools. Until then, Kremer and the Gophers are left with the anticipation of the upcoming season. “My expectations are as high as they can be right now. I just can’t wait to get it going and see it through,” Kremer said. Gophers swim and dive poised for breakout 2020The Gophers are poised for one of its best seasons in recent memory, but shut-down swimming facilities present a challenge to training.Ellen SchmidtJunior Erik Hunter competes in the 200 Yard Backstroke race during the Minnesota Invitational on Saturday, Dec. 2, 2017 at the Jean K Freeman Aquatic Center. Nolan O’HaraMay 18, 2020Jump to CommentsShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare via EmailPrintBetween key returners coming back in the fall and the addition of 26 incoming freshmen, the Gophers’ swimming and diving team is poised for a breakout 2020-2021 season. On the women’s side, the Gophers are coming off a sixth place finish in the Big Ten Championships, posting a 5-3 record in meets on the season. The men’s team placed eighth in the Big Ten Championships, after finishing the season with a 2-6 record in meets. Overall, Minnesota had nine student-athletes named CSCAA All-Americans, all of whom qualified for the NCAA Championships. The NCAA Championships were two of the many sporting events canceled amid the coronavirus pandemic. However, with many student-athletes returning off their NCAA bids, others returning from Olympic years and the addition of 26 freshmen, the Gophers are poised for one of their best seasons in recent memory. “I’m beyond excited about it,” head coach Kelly Kremer said. “If we can keep everyone healthy and engaged, we’re going to be really, really good on both sides — as good as we’ve been in a very long time.”The Gophers’ sizable 2020 class is particularly large compared to its typical recruiting classes. The 13 incoming freshmen on both the men’s and women’s teams exceeds the eight on each team Kremer usually brings in. Kremer expects many of the incoming freshmen to make an impact right out of the gate. “Overall, on both sides, I think [they are] probably two of the better classes we’ve ever brought in, and part of that is just the depth,” he said. “There’s so many really elite student-athletes. So that’s really exciting, and the quality of the class too.”
LSI President Brett Tennar says, “Steve’s success in developing operational strategies that improves the bottom line, builds teamwork, reduces waste and ensures quality product development and distribution checks many of the boxes of what we were looking for in a COO. This, coupled with his career in the Air Force working with highly technical systems and his in-depth understanding of Lean Six Sigma and Business Process Management sealed our offer. As our tagline states, our products are Powered by Science. This data driven approach is one reason why our company has grown exponentially as we employ the most advanced technology to product development. I am confident that Steve is the right person to drive operational strategy for our diverse and growing brands.” Advertisement SOUTHFIELD, Mich. — The Automotive Industry Action Group (AIAG) has appointed General Motors (GM) exec Brian Small to its board of directors, effective June 16. “The appointment of Brian to the board demonstrates AIAG’s commitment to and recognition of the need for solutions to drive costs and inefficiencies out of the automotive supply chain,” said Brian Vautaw, AIAG board chairman. “He has extensive experience in supply chain operations with GM and offers practical insight on the current environment and pressing issues facing the industry.” Small began his career with GM in 1979 with the Cadillac division. Throughout his tenure with GM, he has held a wide variety of positions in the following areas: field sales and service, business management, advertising, marketing, service operations, sales promotions, incentives, events management, regional sales, service and marketing leadership and vehicle distribution. In 2007, Small was appointed general director, global order fulfillment. His role was expanded in May 2009 to include oversight of the Global Supply Chain Center in GM’s Global Purchasing and Supply Chain organization. He currently oversees GM’s global order fulfillment, supply and demand alignment, and GM North America Order Fulfillment operations. AdvertisementClick Here to Read MoreAdvertisement,Lubrication Specialties Inc. (LSI), manufacturer of Hot Shot’s Secret brand of performance additives and oils, recently announced the expansion of senior leadership. Steve deMoulpied joins LSI as the company’s chief operating officer (COO). AdvertisementClick Here to Read MoreAdvertisement DeMoulpied has a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering Management from the United States Air Force Academy and a Master of Business Administration degree from the University of Dayton in Marketing and International Business. He served six years with the USAF overseeing the development of technology used on fighter aircraft and the E-3 Surveillance aircraft, finishing his career honorably as Captain. DeMoulpied comes to LSI from the Private Client Services practice of Ernst & Young where he managed strategy & operations improvement engagements for privately held client businesses. Some of his prior roles include VP of strategic development, director of strategic initiatives, and Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt at OptumHealth, UnitedHealth Group’s health services business, as well as Lean Six Sigma Black Belt at General Electric, where he applied operations improvement principles to customer service, supply chain and product development. A successful entrepreneur, deMoulpied is also the founder of PrestoFresh, a Cleveland-based e-commerce food/grocery business. With more than 20 years of experience across multiple industries and functional areas, deMoulpied has particular expertise in organizations with complex technical products. Combined, his prior positions have required a spectrum of skills in corporate strategy, operations improvement, product quality, and revenue cycle management. He has an impressive history of utilizing data driven problem solving (Lean Six Sigma) and project management (PMP and CSM) to achieve strategic goals surrounding customer satisfaction, operational efficiency and improved profit.
Subscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.
Some good scores were posted, especially from the inform Allan Cassin (12) with 39 points for first place. Phompinmon Seesa (31) took second, also on 39 points losing the count-back.Only two near pins were taken, shared between Allan & Phompinmon.Thursday, Nov. 25, Treasure Hill – StablefordThursday we travelled to the testing Treasure Hill course where there is still some work in progress with some temporary tees and greens in use. Ii understand the new green will be available next week. Apart from that the rest of the course was in excellent condition.High scores are not easy to come by here and Derek Waterworth (29) came in first with just 34 points, which must have pleased him off his lower H/C as he brought a round of drinks later. Second place went to Keith Hodges (26) with 33 points.Only one near pin was taken by Ken and with three not won the Banglamung Boys Home gets a donation.Note: Mulligans Lakeside plays golf generally on Tuesday & Thursday (we sometimes change to accommodate a Thai Holiday). Pesentations are made at the course on Tuesday, with Mulligans Lakeside hosting the Thursday presentation. For more details on scheduling etc, please call Ray on 081 935 8088. Hope to see you there ,Cheers & Good Golfing! PSC golf from Mulligans LakesideTuesday, Nov. 23, Rayong C.C. – StablefordWe returned to Rayong C.C. last week to find course in much better condition: they are still working on the course which can only be a good thing.