It was at the Tanauan, Batangas-based school that the Palma sisters got a huge break on their softball careers as they carried the country’s colors several times in World Series competitions. “Aside from representing the country abroad, being recruited to play for UST in UAAP is a fulfillment of our dream,” said the 20-year-old Royeve. “Personally, I am determined to prove myself to the team that I am taking every training seriously.” Royevel, along with her elder sister Royeve Palma, are rookie pitchers and first basemen for the Golden Tigresses. They were recruited from First Asia Institute of Technology and Humanities in Batangas. “Hopefully, there will be no sanction for other UST teams like softball,” said Palma, who was the pitcher for the Philippine softball team that won gold during the 2019 Southeast Asian Games held in the country. Ilongga rookie Royevel Palma (left) says she is praying that other UST sports will be spared as she personally looks forward to making her debut with the Golden Tigresses. The Golden Tigresses are looking to have a better finish in UAAP Season 83 after placing runner-up in Season 81 last year. The softball competition for UAAP Season 82 early this year was suspended due to coronavirus pandemic./PN Speaking to Sports Lang podcast on Sunday evening, the Pototan, Iloilo-native Palma said she is praying that other UST sports will be spared as she personally looks forward to making her debut with the Golden Tigresses. MANILA – University of Santo Tomas’ softball team rookie Royevel Palma is in hopes that their team will be excluded from penalties set to impose by the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Board following the controversial “Sorsogon Bubble” of the school’s men’s basketball team. “Being recruited by UST is just the start. A lot of sacrifices and hard work is still needed for us to be instrumental in helping the team end its UAAP championship drought,” added the 19-year-old Royevel.
A noticeable decrease in rainfall prompted National Emergency Commission (CNE) officials on Thursday to give the green light for hundreds of families in six shelters to return to their homes in the northern and Caribbean regions of Costa Rica.“Rainy conditions have declined significantly, and that has led us to take three specific actions,” CNE operations director Walter Fonseca said Thursday morning. “The first is to approve the return home of 627 people who were in emergency shelters. We also will close the shelters and were able to evaluate all 27 affected communities.”Despite the improving weather, the CNE will maintain a yellow, or preventive, alert in five of the most affected cantons: Sarapiquí, Matina, Siquirres, Pococí, Grecia and San Carlos.In addition to authorizing the return of evacuated residents, CNE crews are delivering food and other supplies.“We asked residents to continue monitoring the areas prone to flooding. We hope they will follow all of our recommendations,”Fonseca said.The National Meteorological Institute has forecast rains to return intermittently in both regions over the next few days.President Luis Guillermo Solís on Wednesday visited several affected communities and reported the government had allocated ₡150 million ($278,000) for emergency supplies. Facebook Comments Related posts:Flooding in Costa Rica prompts evacuation of more than 450 people Route 32 to Caribbean coast reopened to traffic, but officials urge caution Route 32 to the Caribbean reopens under watchful eye of highway officials Intense rains in Costa Rica’s Caribbean, northern regions prompt evacuations