KSAC and SDC Roll Out Clean Community Competition

first_imgFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail To encourage improved sanitation practices among residents in the Corporate Area, the Kingston and St. Andrew Corporation (KSAC) and the Social Development Commission (SDC) have rolled out a Downtown Clean Community competition. The competition, which runs from May 21 to 31, forms part of a public health clean-up initiative, which provides an incentive for communities that make sustainable strides to keep their surroundings clean and to protect the environment. Participating communities include: Parade Gardens, Rae Town, Tivoli Gardens, Hannah Town, Denham Town, Fletcher’s Land, Kingston Gardens (Allman Town) and Rose Gardens. Speaking with JIS News during Labour Day activities at the St. William Grant Park on May 23, Mayor of Kingston, Councillor Angela Brown Burke, said “the idea is to get community members involved in cleaning up their public spaces.” “We are also getting them involved in recycling and we are hoping that (residents) will have an appreciation of what just coming together and cleaning up can do; and to be able to earn a little bit from the recycling,” she said, adding that it is the intention to make it an annual competition to maintain  cleanliness in these communities. The competition, spearheaded by the SDC is also being put on in collaboration with the Jamaica Chamber of Commerce, the Gleaner and the 140th Committee, chaired by Mrs. Brown Burke. The winning community will receive the City of Kingston Trophy as well as a cash prize. The second and third place competitors will also receive cash prizes. Additionally, the community that collects the most plastic bottles will be given a plaque. By Alecia Smith-Edwards, JIS Reporter Advertisements KSAC and SDC Roll Out Clean Community Competition CommunityMay 25, 2012 RelatedKSAC and SDC Roll Out Clean Community Competition RelatedKSAC and SDC Roll Out Clean Community Competition RelatedKSAC and SDC Roll Out Clean Community Competitionlast_img read more

Unanswered Questions About Facebook’s Data-Use Policy – Even After Public Q&A

first_imgFacebook is Becoming Less Personal and More Pro… dave copeland A Comprehensive Guide to a Content Audit The harder Facebook tries to explain its data-use policy, the more questions it leaves unanswered. Erin Egan, the social networking behemoth’s chief privacy officer, did it again during a 30-minute video conference on May 14. Here’s what she did and didn’t say – and a summary of outstanding concerns about how Facebook can and can’t take advantage of user data.Egan’s session was window dressing on the announcement made on the company’s blog last week. While the exec answered the general questions read to her by Andrew Noyes, Facebook’s public policy communications manager, most of her answers reiterated points covered in last week’s announcement. Even as more pointed queries piled up in the comments section beneath the streaming video, Noyes shifted the session at the 21-minute mark to answering questions not related to privacy. We kept a running list of all the questions Egan didn’t get to, and we’ve asked Facebook to provide answers. We’ll update if and when the company illuminates the following questions, which were posted on Facebook’s site during the video Q&A session:“Will Facebook ever consider implementing a way that a user can globally determine the level of information they would be willing to share with advertisers instead of the per-app method as it is today?”“Will Facebook be using the data it collects to target ads on 3rd party sites?”“Also, will it be licensing out this data to 3rd party networks and tech providers?”“And also, will Facebook amend its data policies that will prevent an app-owner from using data accrued through Facebook after a user has uninstalled that app?”“The revisions mention that Facebook ‘scans’ photos and tags for facial information. Even if I disable Tag Suggestions, can I request that Facebook delete the facial data you already have on me?”“Someone from my Friends list copied a personal timeline photo of my child. I don’t know her friends. How might I control use of my timeline photos?”“How does [Friday’s initial public stock offering] change…my personal privacy controls as a FB user?”“Placing an ad blocker disrupts how the apps in Facebook work. Why is this a problem now (within the last month or so) and was not a problem before?”We’ve also asked once again for clarification on a question we initially asked over the weekend about a policy that seemingly allows Facebook users to vote down policies they don’t like.Throughout the talk, Egan insisted that last week’s updates, including a sleek new landing page that Facebook calls its policy hub, aimed to clarify the policies. She was careful to stress that there had been no policy changes and that last week’s move was a response to a request from the Irish Data Protection Commission to better explain existing practices and highlight recent changes.“Our goal here is to be really transparent with you about our practices,” Egan said. The Dos and Don’ts of Brand Awareness Videos Related Posts Tags:#Facebook#web Guide to Performing Bulk Email Verificationlast_img read more

Napoli defensive problems for Salzburg

first_imgDefenders Faouzi Ghoulam, Elseid Hysaj, Nikola Maksimovic and Mario Rui are all unavailable for Napoli’s Champions League clash with Red Bull Salzburg. Their omissions mean Napoli travel to Austria with just two recognised full-backs in Giovanni Di Lorenzo and Kevin Malcuit, neither of whom are left-footed. Although Hysaj, Maksimovic and Mario Rui are all injured, Ghoulam’s exclusion is something of a mystery. The Algerian recovered from two serious knee injuries in October 2018 and had played in five of the Partenopei’s eight Serie A games so far this season. However, AreaNapoli reports there are doubts over his physical condition, namely that he has lost a yard of pace following his knee problems. Napoli squad to face Salzburg: Allan, Callejon, Di Lorenzo, Elmas, Fabian, Gaetano, Insigne, Koulibaly, Karnezis, Llorente, Lozano, Luperto, Malcuit, Manolas, Meret, Mertens, Milik, Ospina, Younes, Zielinski Watch Serie A live in the UK on Premier Sports for just £11.99 per month including live LaLiga, Eredivisie, Scottish Cup Football and more. Visit: https://subscribe.premiersports.tv/last_img read more

Sachin Tendulkar says no to government bungalow

first_imgSachin Tendulkar has decided not to accept the government bungalow at 5, Tuglaq Lane, saying that taking up the house would be a waste of taxpayers’ money as he would be in Delhi only for a few days in each Parliament session.”I am not keen on staying in any government bungalow when I will be in Delhi for a few days. I feel this would be a waste of taxpayers money and it would be better if the bungalow is allotted to someone else who needs it more than me. I would prefer to stay in a hotel at my own expense when I am in Delhi. I do hope to attend few days of Parliament in every session,” Tendulkar said.last_img

Video: Nebraska WR De’Mornay Pierson-El Basically Levitated Making This Workout Catch

first_imgdemornay pierson el makes catch during workout.demornay pierson elNebraska wide receiver De’Mornay Pierson-El was one of the top return men in the country last year as a true freshman, leading the nation in punt return yardage and tying for the top mark with three punt returns for touchdowns.Make no mistake though, Pierson-El is also a receiving threat. He caught 23 passes for 321 yards and four touchdowns last fall, and if this off-season video is any indication, the Huskers need to get him even more involved in the passing game in 2015. Here’s a clip of Pierson-El at what appears to be a high school field. He destroys his defender off the line, and at the top of his route, appears to almost levitate as he goes up to make the catch.Another body pic.twitter.com/bXIZHcwkKc— CallmeOak (@OkkyTheGee) May 19, 2015Seriously, check out that hang time. Ridiculous. Did we mention he’s only 5-foot-9? Nebraska fans have to be salivating at what Pierson-El may be able to do in the Big Ten this season.last_img read more

Catch 220 Buckeyes top Northwestern by a free throw to remain undefeated

EVANSTON, Ill. — One more Northwestern basket and the roof may have blown off the building at Welsh-Ryan Arena in Evanston, Ill., on Saturday night. Fortunately for the No. 1-ranked Ohio State men’s basketball team, that basket never came after OSU freshman forward Jared Sullinger hit one of two free throws with 3.5 seconds to play, putting the Buckeyes (22-0, 9-0) one point above the feisty Wildcats (13-8, 3-7). The Buckeyes held on for those final seconds to win the game, 58-57. “We’re just happy to come out with the win,” said freshman point guard Aaron Craft. “Anytime you can go on the road, no matter who you’re playing in the Big Ten, it’s always good to come out with a win.” It was a game of runs for Northwestern. In the first half, Craft took matters into his own hands to halt an 8-0 Wildcat run. He scored eight of the Buckeyes’ final 10 points to end the first half, stopping the bleeding and providing OSU with a 27-25 halftime lead. The second half featured a much more threatening Wildcat run. The Buckeyes began to buck their shaky start in the second half. A seemingly rejuvenated OSU team appeared from the visitors’ locker room and built a 13-point lead nearly halfway through the contest’s second stanza. However, a seven-point Northwestern possession coupled with a three-point shooting clinic by the Northwestern back court quickly evaporated OSU’s lead. “I think I saw a seven-point play in one possession. I don’t know if I have ever seen that before, but I thought that was a huge momentum shift for them,” OSU coach Thad Matta said. “Our guys made the big plays down the stretch, and I told them, ‘We got what we came for.’” Knotted at 57 with 3.5 seconds to play, Sullinger iced the game for the Buckeyes when he split a pair of free throws. Northwestern attempted — and narrowly missed — a halfcourt heave at the buzzer. Surrounded by the deafening screams of thousands of Wildcat fans, Sullinger said it was one voice that helped him drain the game-winning free throw. “I heard my dad’s voice in my head,” he said. “‘One smooth movement,’ in his loud, booming voice — and it was there.” It was Sullinger who carried much of the load for the Buckeyes in the second half with 11 points. Senior guard Michael Thompson led the way for the Wildcats with 13. For Northwestern, playing without its leading scorer, junior forward John Shurna, proved costly. Shurna was out with a concussion he suffered in the team’s previous loss to Minnesota. Sullinger led the OSU scoring attack with 21 points and eight rebounds, and Craft added 13 points of his own. Thompson led the Wildcats with 16. Following the narrow victory, Craft said the Buckeyes have to focus on their next game. “You go on the road in the Big Ten, get a win and then it’s on to the next game,” he said. “We have to correct the things we did wrong tonight. Go back, watch some film and we have a decent layover here before we play Michigan, so we’ll be ready to play them at home.” The Buckeyes return to the hardwood Thursday to take on rival Michigan at 7 p.m. at the Schottenstein Center. read more

Football Record nine Ohio State players honored with captain status

OSU then-redshirt junior quarterback J.T. Barrett (16) calls a play during the first half of the Buckeyes game against Penn State on Oct. 22. The Buckeyes lost 24-21. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Former Photo EditorOhio State named a program-high nine captains for the 2017 season last week, a total that has been on a steady incline every season since 2014.Some more outspoken fans have criticized the high number, but the players said it’s clear the players given the honor deserve it.“Somebody had said something slick on Twitter or something about [the decision to have nine captains],” defensive end and captain Jalyn Holmes said. “But that just shows that we’ve got a lot of leaders on the team.”This team is not quite as young and inexperienced as it was a season ago. Last year, the team was replacing a litany of key players at several positions after a record-setting 12 former Buckeyes were selected in the first four rounds of the 2016 NFL Draft.This season, Ohio State returns multiple starters. And with one of Meyer’s finest recruiting classes — the class of 2013 — going out for its last hurrah, there is a strong core of players who have played alongside one another for five seasons and bring experience and leadership to the team.One such member of that class, defensive end Tyquan Lewis, the reigning Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year and two-time captain, emphasized the depth of leadership on the team, citing the close relationship of the team.Ohio State redshirt senior defensive end Tyquan Lewis walks into the Hyatt Place to check in for fall camp on Aug. 6. Credit: Colin Hass-Hill | Sports Editor.“We could have had four captains, but it’s hard to leave people out when the team’s this close and you know those guys are leading the way,” Lewis said.The Buckeyes adamantly reiterated that each captain deserved his role and was selected by teammates based on merit, not as a participation trophy to those who have stuck around the program for the longest. “If one of the nine of us wasn’t captain, it’d be like they deserved it and didn’t get it,” defensive end Sam Hubbard said. “Everybody really is doing their part to be an example for this team. And that’s why we have so many.”Like his fellow captains, Hubbard said the honor was one of his goals and that it was a main reason for his return to Columbus.Reflecting back on a conversation with former Ohio State player and coach Mike Vrabel, coach Urban Meyer said he realized the fallacy of limiting the number of captains because one of the Buckeyes’ key leaders was excluded from the honor.“I wasn’t named captain, but I was still a captain,” Vrabel said, according to Meyer’s recounting.Meyer said he doesn’t want to exclude any deserving players from captain roles by limiting the number of captains. “Whoever deserves it is going to be captain, and it will be on the wall, down the hallway and you’ll forever be known on your resume as a captain of the Ohio State University football program,” Meyer said.OSU then-sophomore defensive end Sam Hubbard makes a diving tackle on Indiana redshirt junior quarterback Richard Lagow (21) during the second half on Oct. 8. The Buckeyes won 38-17. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Former Photo EditorHolmes said that whether or not he was a captain, he would still be that guy that his teammates could come to for anything, whether in football or life.“Captain means a helping hand,” Holmes said. “The young guys can come to me with whatever and I can just be that helping hand for them.”Another Buckeye who has been a leader in the program for years is two-time Big Ten Quarterback of the Year J.T. Barrett, who became the first three-time captain in Ohio State history this fall.“When you think about a captain, you think about them going about it the right way,” Barrett said. “Having respect for the game, having respect for other people and also trying to make everyone better.”With so many captains, some skeptics might have doubts about the ambiguity of leadership on the team. “We all look to him [Barrett] as the captain of the captains,” Hubbard said.Lewis and preseason first-team All-American center Billy Price join Barrett as the other multi-year captains on the team. Defensive tackle Tracy Sprinkle, linebacker Chris Worley and wide receivers Terry McLaurin and Parris Campbell are the other first-time captains in addition to Holmes and Hubbard. read more